As the sun starts to shine and we trade boots for flip flops, it is our favorite time of year: time for ice cream! Of course, you can eat it from your freezer, but making a date out of it and taking your family to your neighborhood parlor is always special on a warm summer night. Or, be bold and go across town to try something new! (There are many locations of Jeni’s and Graeter’s; I just picked my personal favorite locations.)
- Yaourt Frozen Yogurt: Known for their tart frozen yogurt and fresh toppings to layer on top. Can’t wait to try it!
- Diamond’s Ice Cream: One of our family favorites includes MUCH more than just ice cream. We love the Mexican paletas (like popsicles, made with fresh ingredients) and agues fresca. PS, that’s Ferraro Roche ice cream pictured below!
- Dell’s Homemade Ice Cream: Lots of great options such as Carmel Chocolate Covered Pretzel, Mocha Chip and E.T. They also serve coffee and have a drive through with limited hours.
- Handel’s: This is a walk-up shop without indoor seating. But the number of flavors (banana cream pie is my favorite!) will blow your mind as you try to decide.
- The Little Ice Cream Shoppe: Many homemade options are served in this family-owned spot.
- Cookie Dough Creamery: Start your bowl with four different flavors of cookie dough before you even get to the soft serve ice cream and toppings! Also available are cookie dough bon bons dipped in chocolate. You’re welcome.
- Graeter’s: This is my favorite location
because of all the outdoor seating along High Street. The black raspberry chocolate chip cannot be beaten. It is my lifetime favorite. We also get “face sundaes” for the kids, cookie ice cream sandwiches, and amazing birthday cakes from here.
- Oh-Yo! Frozen Yogurt: Another frozen yogurt place to load up with refreshing yogurt and top with crunchy, sweet toppings!
- Jeni’s: We are big fans of the giant chalkboard inside, and the indoor ambiance is the best. Outside, there is plenty of High Street seating, and your kids will love a bowl of Ndali Estate Vanilla while you go out on a limb and try something crazy.
- Coppa Gelato: The photos on social media look decadent and gorgeous! I cannot wait to try the Gelato Flight of 4 flavors or the gelato bomb (gelato on top of a DONUT).
- Johnson’s: Another longtime favorite since 1950, Johnson’s has an impressive photo catalog of all their flavors and an inviting patio.
- Jeni’s: This location has the best window seat in Columbus, and the shaded sidewalk makes a fun people-watching trip while you demolish your salty caramel and backyard mint.
- Orange Leaf: In Kingsdale Plaza, Orange Leaf was a family favorite of ours until we moved. We loved loading up the bowl with wedding cake and cool chocolate yogurt, finishing it off with mini buckeyes, syrups, and crunchy heath bits. I love the child-sized tables and chairs!
- Whit’s Frozen Custard: Frozen custard is a totally different, rich taste. Whit’s serves only three flavors per day: chocolate, vanilla, and the flavor of the week (our favorite is apple pie!). But you get to mix in whatever toppings you choose, have sundaes, or even a “dirty worm” parfait.
So what do you think? Are you ready to try one of these Columbus Ice Cream Shops with your family?