Here at Columbus Moms Blog, we like to put in the hard work, so you don’t have to. And when I heard National Doughnut Day was soon approaching (traditionally celebrated the first Friday of June*), I took one for the team and set out on a mission to find the best doughnut in town. I know, so selfless of me. It turns out, they’re all amazing in their own ways and you pretty much can’t go wrong. Just go get a doughnut! And if you need me, I’ll be on the treadmill.
Here are just a few doughnut destinations and deals around town to help you honor the holiday:
Local Doughnut Shops
• As OSU students can attest, if you need a doughnut fix at any hour of the day, Buckeye Donuts in the campus area is your spot. They’re open 24 hours!
• The North Market is home to Destination Donuts where you’ll find unique flavor offerings like mojito, ginger peach wasabi, lavender, and chocolate ganache Oreo (it’s basically to donuts what Jeni’s is to ice cream). The price point is a little higher than your typical doughnut shop, but they’re large, and oh man, are they tasty.
• The Lil Donut Factory in Hilliard just does doughnuts (and has been known to sell out early, especially on Fridays, it seems. Be sure to check their Facebook page before you go!) but conveniently shares a space with The Coffee Mess, which offers up fresh-roasted coffee and coffee drinks.
• Schneider’s Bakery in Westerville holds a special place in my heart (and no, not just the blockage). Each Valentine’s Day, rather than a dozen roses, my husband brings me a dozen Schneider’s doughnuts – and even drives out at 1 a.m. to get the freshest of the fresh first batch of the day! I love him so much I even share a few with him.
• With offerings like Orange Creamsicle and Lucky Charms, Amy’s Donuts on Georgesville Rd would probably qualify as the most colorful donuts around – with certainly the most eclectic array of toppings (Biscoff crumb!). And if all that weren’t fun enough, Amy’s also hosts field trips throughout the week.
• Many Central Ohioans were already family with Duck Donuts from visits to this Outer Banks fixture, but that didn’t make it any less exciting to get our own in the Polaris area. I was dubious about just how good they could be. But oh my. SO crazy good – and made to order! They offer fresh vanilla cake donuts all day and you pick your glaze, your topping and your drizzle. Lots of amazing combinations (and plenty of suggestions if you’re indecisive). On June 2, they’re offering a free donut with any purchase and more details on their free half dozen promotion can be found here – Duck Donuts-National Donut Day Deals
National chain offers for National Donut Day- June 2, 2017
• Krispy Kreme is offering a free doughnut of any variety!
• At Dunkin Donuts, you can score a free doughnut with the purchase of a drink.
• Giant Eagle will have a dozen doughnuts for $3.99 that day only.
• At Tim Horton’s, if you show a social media post (Twitter, Instagram or Facebook) that you’ve made with a reference to National Doughnut Day, they’ll give you a free doughnut.
Smaller chain offers for National Donut Day- June 2, 2017
• Amy’s Donuts has a special promotion that involves doughnut holes.
So what’s your favorite spot? If there’s any place I missed, I’m totally open to suggestions! Add them to the comments and I’d be happy to get started on a follow-up post!
*Turns out, National Doughnut Day has some legit roots. It wasn’t started by a doughnut shop like I would’ve thought, but by The Salvation Army in 1938 to raise funds and also to honor the women who served doughnuts to the troops during World War I.