We’ve gathered an amazing list of free summer activities in Columbus. From splash pads to factory tours, there are an abundance of activities to keep the whole family happy. Whatever you decide to do, we hope it is full of fun! This list has been updated for 2017.
Free & Cheap Summer Activities in Columbus
Animals & Nature
- Battelle Darby Creek:: See the bison roaming, take a nature walk and then head indoors to the state of the art Nature Center. (Hours for June-August are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.) ** They also have tons of free programs such as scavenger hunts, family yoga and story time.
- Stratford Ecological Center:: Explore (live animals, hiking trails, creeks, pond, gardens) * A $3 donation per person or $6 per family is suggested.
- Slate Run Living Historical Farm:: Go back in time to life in the 1880’s and walk inside an old fashioned farmhouse, play games and see animals such as horses, cows, sheep, pigs and chickens. It is worth the drive to Canal Winchester! Bring your camera!
- Gallant Farm:: Depicting life in the 1890’s, you’ll find a Farmhouse, barn, machine shed, demonstration crop fields and other aspects of farm life.
- Grange Insurance Audubon Center:: You’ll find both indoor and outdoor options here. They also have Preschool Story Time on Thursdays and Saturdays at 10 a.m.
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt:: This fun scavenger hunt puts a whole new spin on a trip to the zoo. Download it HERE.
- Topiary Park: Walk around and look at the topiaries and bring a picnic lunch for a peaceful afternoon. Be sure to make a stop at the Main Library too!
- Geocaching:: A GPS scavenger hunt. Read more about it here: Real Life Treasure Hunt
- Waterfalls can be found in two locations in Dublin: Hayden Falls Park & Indian Run Falls Park. You’ll definitely want to keep your kids close and have a safety talk with them.
- Sunrise Sanctuary in Marysville:: Meet over 170 rescued farm animals as they freely roam the fields. Open Barn Days are from 12-3 p.m. on select Saturdays. Donations are accepted.
- Animal Encounter Exhibit at Olentangy Indians Caverns:: Admission into the 50,000 square foot animal encounter exhibit is $3.00 per person. For an additional small fee you can buy a bag of food to feed the deer and goats roaming around. There’s a great playground on the property, some large wooden yard games, a wooden climbing wall and picnic benches. The other activities such as gem mining, exploring the caves and miniature golf have individual prices.
- Splash Pads:: Get wet at one of the fun locations in Columbus! Read More: 8 Columbus Splash Pads
- Top Municipal Pools in Central Ohio:: With waterslides, lazy rivers, play structures and more these pools are sure to keep you cool on the hot summer days.
- Alum Creek State Park:: Head to the closest beach to Columbus. (located near Polaris)
- Delaware State Park::800-foot public beach, boat, fishing, disc golf, trails and hunting are options here.
- Commons for Kids every Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. You’ll find a carousel, bounce houses, giant chess board and special features each week such as the Columbus Zoo animals, balloon artist and music. *June 2- August 18 with the exception of June 30.
- Disc Golf:: Find a list of free courses in the area.
- Farmers’ Markets:: There is a Farmers’ Market in Columbus for every day of the week! Many of them have live music and other free activities. Here’s a complete list: Farmers’ Markets in Columbus
- Fishing:: Lots of options, but here are a few- Hoover Reservoir and many Metroparks
- Feed the ducks:: Creekside in Gahanna is perfect for this and there are swans too! (For a fee, you can rent paddleboats.)
- Playgrounds:: Venture to a new playground! Here’s a list of 10 Great Playgrounds in Columbus. You may also want to check out Parks that Spark Imagination.
- Strawberry Picking:: Head to a local Columbus area farm.
- Sculpture Spotting:: Explore different areas of Columbus and see unique sculptures such as: World’s Largest Gavel outside the Justice Building downtown, Arnold Schwarzeneger statue, Deer on a Bridge by COSI, Field of Ceramic Corn in Dublin, Dancing Bunnies in Dublin (Ballantrae)- look for different items imprinted into the sculptures, Leatherlips in Dublin and then stay to play at Scioto Park and the Rusty Steel Horses in The Farms apartment complex. As the name implies, these horses are rusty, so admire from a distance and don’t touch. All of these sculptures make interesting pictures, so be sure to bring your camera!
- Columbus Clippers:: On Wednesdays, kids 12 and under eat free with a paid admission to the Columbus Clippers home games to remember the Columbus Jets.
- Hilliard Ohio Historical Society:: Unless you have a scheduled tour, the buildings will be closed but you can walk around the grounds and see a one-room school house, log cabin, church, barn, caboose and covered bridge. There are metal stands outside of the buildings with QR codes that will give you some historical information.
- Factory Tours:: ** Be sure to check the websites for tour information** Al’s Delicious Popcorn, American Whistle Corporation, Anthony-Thomas Chocolates, Conn’s Potato Chip Factory (Zanesville)
- Cabela’s:: This huge retail store has an 8,000-gallon aquarium with live fish and an extensive wildlife display including a polar bear, elk, wolves, goats and more.
Concerts, Movies and Festivals
Can you believe we have another list jam packed with FREE concerts, outdoor movies and festivals? You won’t want to miss this list because it is filled with fun!
- Outdoor Movies:: Many of these movies begin at dusk. Bring your blankets and bug spray and get ready for the fun. At some of them, there will be other special treats like concerts, face painting, and food trucks. Check out the list here: Free Summer Events
- Concerts:: There are tons of free concerts happening around Cbus this summer! Check out the list here: Free Summer Events
- Festivals:: From the Columbus Arts Festival to the Summer Jam, you are bound to find a fun event you’ll enjoy. Check out the list here: Free Summer Events
- Bowl for Free:: Sign your kids up for 2 free games of bowling each day until August 31 at specific bowling alleys in Columbus such as Plain City Lanes, Marysville, Gahanna Lanes and Holiday Lanes. Read more about FREE Daily Bowling for Kids.
- Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse:: Watch movies like Trolls, Sing, The Lego Batman movie and more. $1 per show or $5 for 10 shows.
- Kids Dream Summer Film Series:: Enjoy $3 movies for select showings at Crosswoods Cinema.
- Book to Film at Gateway Film Center:: Each week this summer a movie inspired by a book will be shown at Gateway. Free admission to the 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. show times when you present any library card. Lots of great movies are in the lineup! Begins May 25- August 17.
- Super Tuesdays at Gateway Film Center:: $5 movies and free popcorn all day!
- Recreations Outlet:: Enjoy the trampolines, basketball hoops and climbing equipment on the Charitable Days; Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. $2 donation per family for up to 3 kids and $1 for each additional child.
- Irish Fairy Doors of Dublin:: Download a trail map and walk along the path to discover 7 fairy doors hidden in various businesses in Historic Dublin. The fairy doors are inside the shops, but it will require walking outside to each location. If you find all 7 fairy doors and return your completed passport you’ll receive a FREE Dublin Fairy Doors of Dublin t-shirt. Be sure to check the hours of operation for each business before you plan your adventure.
- Goldfish Swim School during weekday family swim times. (Free for Goldfish members and for non-members it is $5 per person with a maximum fee of $15 per family.) Read more about why we love Goldfish Swim School!
- Aquarium Adventure:: View the large variety of fish and other sea animals such as stingray and turtles. (New Location in the Hilliard Mill Run area)
- Graeters on Bethel Road:: Indoor play area (remember socks) and you can see part of the production facility.
- Orton Geological Museum:: Explore rocks, minerals, and fossils at this building on OSU campus. (Open to the public Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- OSU Airport Observation Tower:: View flight activity and listen to the sounds of Airport Control Tower over the radio. Open daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. While you are there, grab breakfast or lunch at Jack & Benny’s Barnstormer Diner (Mon-Fri 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. & Sat-Sun 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Cruz Candy Store:: This gem in the heart of Powell and is sure to satisfy every sweet tooth. You can spin a wheel to get a free piece of candy. Lots of inexpensively priced candy and a creative craft room upstairs for classes and parties.
- Fire Station Tour:: Make an appointment and visit a fire station. Consider bringing a handmade card or goodies to show appreciation.
- Dave & Busters:: Wednesdays are Half-Priced Game Day. (Hilliard and Polaris location)
- Piccadilly:: Summer Happy Hours- $5 per child from 2-5 p.m. on select weekdays
- Skate Zone 71:: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00-8:30 p.m. admission is $1 (plus skate fee). This special pricing begins on May 30th.
- Home Depot Kids Workshop:: This is such a cute program. Kids get a kit with instructions and materials to assemble a wooden craft. They earn pins for their apron for each new craft they make. (first Saturday of every month)
- Camp Creativity at Michael’s:: Make a themed craft *$5 per session or $12 for 3 sessions (Runs June 12-July 28 from 10 am to noon.)
- Lakeshore Learning Store:: Free Crafts for Kids program every Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Columbus Museum of Art:: Every Sunday is free admission. There are hands-on and learning activities scattered throughout the library. Be sure to check out the Wonder Room as it is geared specifically towards kids. While you’re there, grab lunch at Schokko Art Cafe (operated by Cameron Mitchell Premier Events)
- Summer Reading Program:: Sign up and earn great prizes! (Columbus Metropolitan Library, Delaware County District Library, Worthington Libraries, Grandview Heights Public Library, and Upper Arlington Public Library).
- Library Event:: The libraries put on some pretty fabulous events in the summer such as story time, magic shows, the turtle lady, dance parties and more! (View the event calendars here: Delaware County District Library, Worthington Libraries, Grandview Library Music.
- Story Garden at Northwest Library:: It really is one of the best children’s sections in town! Spot popular storybook characters such as Frog & Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Winnie-the-Pooh and Humpty Dumpty throughout the library in artwork or sculpture form. Plus they have a cabinet full of toys such as Magna-Tiles and trucks.
- Northwest Library on the Poetry Path:: Take a stroll outside and wind around gravel walkways and discover the work of 6 poets.
- Chuck E. Cheese Reading Rewards:: Earn 10 free tokens by completing the reading chart.
- Little Free Library:: Grab a book and/or drop on off. Read more about it here: Little Free Library
- Book Downloads:: Billion eBook Gift allows you to access 50 free Children’s books.
- Apple Camp:: Kids 8-12 can register for a 3-day workshop at Apple stores.
- Free Food Days: June 3- donut from Krispy Kreme, July 8- free meal from Chick-Fil-A if you come dressed as a cow, July 11- Slurpee from 7-11.
- Columbus Commons:: A variety of classes are offered outside on the Commons. There are classes such as Yoga, Hip Hop, Bootcamp, Cardio and kickboxing that are offered during the weeknights and on Saturday mornings. Be sure to fill out a waiver before your first class and view the class schedule here: Columbus Commons Free Fitness Classes
- Summer Fitness Series:: Instructors from Inspire Fitness will be teaching Zumba classes every Saturday in June, July and August at 10 a.m, beginning June 4th. These classes are held at the Village Green Park Amphitheater in downtown Powell.
- Motivation at the Station in Hilliard:: Saturday mornings from 8:00-8:50 a.m. (June 10-August 5 )
- Yoga on the Square at Easton:: Fridays from 8:30-9:30 a.m. (June 1-September 29)
- Karma Yoga:: Fridays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. at Yoga on High (free, but donations are accepted)
- Lululemon (Sunday Yoga Classes)
- Athleta at Easton:: Sundays from 10:45 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
- Run with Your PT:: Wednesdays from 6-6:30 p.m. a PT will be available at FrontRunner (Shops at Worthington Place) to answer your questions. Then, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. anyone interested can join in on a run.
- Easton:: Model train (near Brio), Splash Pad (near Brio), Trolley car that runs, head into the Lego Store to build
- Play Areas::
With a Columbus Zoo Membership, you can get a Buy One, Get One FREE admission to select Columbus attractions through December 31, 2017 (unless otherwise noted.) Just show your valid Columbus Zoo Membership card, no special coupon is needed. Read more about the program here: Columbus Member Advantage
- Buy One, Get One Free with Columbus Zoo Membership:: Columbus Museum of Art, COSI, Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (valid August 1-October 31), Kings Art Complex, Ohio History Center & Ohio Village and Wexner Center for the Arts.
Day Trips or Quick Trips
- National Museum of the US Air Force:: Located in Dayton and open daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (closed major holidays). This is a must-see spot!
- Clifton Gorge:: Stunning scenery includes waterfalls and gorge. Be sure to check out the eclectic town of Yellow Springs and stop by Young’s Jersey Dairy for homemade ice cream and to see the farm animals.
- Hocking Hills:: Beautiful state park with walking trails, waterfalls and caves.
- The Ohio Bird Sanctuary:: Live birds are on display, walkthrough aviary and hiking trails are found here. Located in Mansfield and open Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday 1:00-5:00 p.m. (While you are in the area, stop on over to Little Buckeye Children’s Museum– it’s full of fun!! Admission is not free, but reasonably priced. You can also pay a small fee and take a ride on the Richland Carrousel.)
- Indian Lake:: 2 public beaches, fishing (with a valid license), playgrounds and more
- Bob Evans Farm:: The farm sits on a beautiful setting in Rio Grande, Ohio. The Farm and Homestead Museum are open daily May 1-October 31, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Check out the special activities schedule here: Bob Evans Farm Special Events
- Zoo Reciprocity:: With a Columbus Zoo membership, you can take advantage of discounted or FREE admission to the AZA accredited zoos in Ohio and across the country. Read more about the reciprocity details here: Zoo Reciprocity. Toledo Zoo is awesome and has hippos!!
- Science Center Reciprocity:: If you have a COSI membership or another ASTC membership, you can take advantage of FREE admission to many other science centers. Read more about the reciprocity details here: ASTC Travel Passport Program