One of the only foods we can all agree on in our house is strawberries! It is even more fun when you pick them yourself at one of the U-Pick Farms in the area. This activity is fun for even the littlest ones, even if they only put a few in the bucket. Take them home and make a simple batch of strawberry jam (or white sangria for mom!)
Make sure to call ahead to confirm that berries are available on the day you are planning to pick. Plan to arrive early because many farms will close the patch mid-day if the fields are over picked. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen and wear boots if the fields are muddy. Also, it is a good idea to bring cash with you because some farms don’t accept credit cards.
1. Circle S Farms, 9015 London Groveport Rd., southwest of Grove City (614-878-9462, 614-878-7980)
2. Doran’s Farm Market, 5462 Babbitt Rd., southeast of New Albany (614-855-3885)
3. Folck Family Farm, 6843 Rt. 54, southwest of Mechanicsburg (937-828-0233)
6. Legend Hills Orchard, 11155 Reynolds Rd., south of Utica (740-892-8090)
8. Stir Family Farm, 8050 Madison Walnut Rd., northeast of Ashville (740-497-2935) *Organic Farm- there may be more weeds for little ones to have to pick through than some of the other farms.
9. Yutzy’s Farm Market, 6010 Converse Rd., south of Plain City (614-873-3815)
10. Granny B Farms, 7201 Tucker Road, Centerburg (614-668-5251) *Organic Farm- which means the berries have not been sprayed with ANY herbicide, fungicide, or pesticide. There may be more weeds for little ones to have to pick through than some of the other farms. They also have u-pick asparagus.