We will soon be swapping out our swim bags and flip flops for backpacks and school shoes! As we wipe our tears because summer is coming to an end, we also know we have much to look forward to this fall in Columbus!
We spent the summer picking strawberries and blueberries, but with the change of season comes a new produce to pick…apples! Honeycrisp! Gala! Mcintosh! Golden Delicious! So many different types, but one commonality- delicious taste, endless recipes and family fun with these Columbus U-Pick Apple Orchards.
If you haven’t been to any Columbus U-Pick Apple Orchards before with your family, we highly suggest putting it on your fall bucket list. It’s a great activity to do with kids, as they can taste test their apples along the way and then bring them home and enjoy making recipes together as a family. Be sure to check out the farms below and visit their websites or call for the most up to date information. It can be hard to plan ahead because the weather often plays a role in when the farms have ripe fruit.
- Lynd Fruit Farm– This is a great place in Pataskala to pick apples and even make a day of it. They have many orchards and a farm market on the property. Their estimated picking season begins August 31, 2018. One of the most popular weekends is the Honeycrisp weekend, so mark your calendar for September 7-9 (This could be moved to a week later, so check their website). Advice: Go early!
- The Orchard and Company– A wonderful family place in Plain City to pick apples! Their kickoff is August 11, 2018, 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. with a special Zestar apple. Check their website for other dates on apples and the fun events they have going on! They are predicting September 9th, 2018 for Honeycrisp this year. They will end the season the week of October 6th, 2018 with Royal Empire and Red Delicious.
- Lawrence Orchards– This orchard is a bit of a drive from Columbus (45 minutes) but offers a lovely variety of apples for picking. It is located in Marion, Ohio. This site begins their picking varieties in the beginning of August! They have lots of types to choose from. Be sure to use their website or call to find the U-Pick schedule and plan a day trip with your family! Mark your calendar for Applefest on September 29, 2018.
- Cherry Hawk Farm- This U-Pick farm is located in Marysville, Ohio. The farm is a very quiet and secluded setting and is the perfect spot to pick apples. The Grand Opening Weekend will be August 3rd, 2018 with Williams Pride apples! They offer a great space to bring a picnic and have lunch on the farm. Check their website for their full apple schedule.
- Apple Hill Orchard– This farm is located in Mansfield, Ohio. They also have an additional location in Fredericktown, Ohio. We thought it could be a fun day trip or for those readers from the Northeast area of Ohio, a great spot to meet family halfway. This is a beautiful family owned orchard with U-pick apples and apple donuts and awesome cider! Be sure to check their website for the picking schedule. Some apples will be ready soon for 2018!
- Fruit Full Acres -This farm market is also located in Marysville, Ohio. U-pick apples will begin late August or early September. They also sell pre-picked apples and pears. See their facebook page for more information!
- Windy Hill Apple Farm– This farm is located in Newark, Ohio and has a special U Pick season starting in October with a number of varieties. They also sell sweet cider and have an organic production.
With 7 different Columbus U-Pick Apple Orchards to choose from, you will have plenty of apples to make applesauce, apple pie, apple crisp, apple chips…the possibilities are endless. Here are some tasty apple recipes and another post with 3 different apple recipes.